There’s something about potato and egg salad that reminds me of summer — probably because my mom loves to make this for a garden barbecue. The hot summer days are long gone by now, but who says that we can’t indulge in this refreshing salad even during the coldest month of the year? Potatoes are one of the most filling foods out there, and when combined with eggs, they become a salad full of proteins that can be eaten as a meal on its own. There are a zillion recipes out there for potato and egg salads, some with Dijon mustard sauces, others with lemon dressings or simply mayonnaise. They can be made with different types of potatoes and can be combined with a variety of ingredients, ranging from herbs and pickles to peas and carrots. I’ll never say that my recipe is the best because all potato salads vary according to personal tastes, but there is one thing I can guarantee: this will be one of the easiest potato and egg salads you’ll ever make.
This recipe calls for just six ingredients: potatoes, eggs, frozen peas, red onion, chives and mayonnaise. The first step calls for boiling the potatoes and the eggs. Feel free to use any potatoes that you like, but make sure to boil them whole with their skin on to give them a rich taste. Boil the potatoes for about 40 minutes or until tender, then drain them in a colander and let cool. Boil the eggs in a separate saucepan for 15 minutes, then let cool in a small bowl. If you’re running against the clock, you can always plunge the potatoes and eggs in a bowl of ice water to cool them down. Peeling cooked potatoes can be a disaster (as I learned when I first made this recipe!). Using a vegetable peeler to peel off the skin is a mushy and complicated venture, so I highly suggest peeling off the skin of the potatoes with your fingers.
Chop the potatoes and eggs into squares and put them in a salad bowl. I like adding chopped red onion, peas and chives to bring more color to the salad and to give it a pungent taste. Many prefer a simple lemon vinaigrette dressing, however I’m a big fan of anything creamy so I always go for mayonnaise. Drop generous tablespoons of mayonnaise all over the salad and mix with a dash of salt and pepper until you obtain the consistency and taste that you like. Eat it as a main dish if you’re just craving a salad or serve it as a hearty side dish to grilled meat — but by all means don’t wait for barbecue season to try it!
- 1.8 pounds (850g) potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 eggs
- 1.9 ounces (55g) frozen peas
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chives
- 7 tablespoons mayonnaise, or more if needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring salted water to boil and cook the potatoes with their skin on for 40 minutes or until tender. When done, place them in a colander and let cool for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to boil and cook the eggs for 15 minutes. When done, move the eggs to a small bowl and let cool for 1 hour.
- Peel the skin off the potatoes with your fingers and chop into squares. Peel the eggs and chop into squares. Place the eggs and potatoes in a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, add the peas with a bit of water and microwave for 1 minute to soften. Remove the water and add the peas to the potato and eggs.
- Add the onion, chives, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Mix to combine and serve.
How did your potato and egg salad come out? Share photos of your recipe on Instagram by tagging #savormania