asian carrot soup with coconut and lemongrass
There are a zillion ways to make a good carrot soup, but this one is by far my favorite. I still love my easy carrot parsley soup, but some nights I just crave something more exotic; especially when the weather starts getting really cold (like right now!). There’s something about coconut milk and lemongrass that makes me nostalgic about summers on the beach in Thailand, soaking up the sun while indulging in delicious food. Maybe that’s why I love this asian carrot soup; it makes me feel like summer is right around the corner when it’s still months away. Who wouldn’t want a spoon of that!?
I like adding lemongrass and coconut milk to soups to bring a new twist to typical winter ingredients, ranging from carrots and pumpkin to mushrooms and butternut squash. Using coconut milk gives soups a creaminess like no other while keeping them dairy-free, while the lemongrass brings them such an irresistible aroma.
The longer you let the ingredients cook, the stronger the lemongrass aroma will be. I like to keep my carrots simmering for about 40 minutes to ensure that all flavors are unleashed and guarantee that my carrots are super soft, if not they don’t blend as smoothly as I like them to be.
I developed this recipe for a collaboration with KROWD, a magazine that strives to promote creative talents in all sorts of fields, ranging from photographers, dancers and fashion designers to artists, musicians and food writers like me. In addition to regularly republishing my recipes on their website, I will also be developing exclusive recipes for KROWD’s print and digital magazines, republishing them on Savormania only once they’re officially out. I’m so excited and honoured to have been featured on KROWD and can’t wait to continue collaborating with the magazine in the future! Check out KROWD’s Issue 5 Glamour Untamed to discover new amazing talents.
For more soup recipes, click here
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1kg carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic with the turmeric until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and ginger and mix to combine.
- Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk and mix to combine.
- Remove the outer leaves of the lemongrass stalks, chop off both ends and bash them on top of a chopping board to release their aroma. Place the lemongrass stalks on top of the broth.
- Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until the carrots are completely soft.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.