coconut milk curry chicken with cashews
At the end of July, I started a new “Best Of” series on the blog called Snapshots to share everything we’ve cooked, loved and tried during the past month. At the end of Snapshots from July 2015, I stated that one of my goals for the month of August was to learn to love curry…and I’m happy to share that I did! Well, not entirely, but I did find a recipe that includes it in a way that I not only can stand it but love it! Very present in Asian cuisine, curry powder comes in several varieties that range from the mildest to the spiciest in flavor. Given that I don’t like spicy food to begin with, I’ve never cooked with spicy curry powders, and up until the beginning of the month, I have to admit that I didn’t even have one single bottle of curry powder in my spice cabinet. Let’s just say that it was far from being my favorite spice; I never liked the flavor, not to mention the smell. But one learns to appreciate new things to please the person you love (I’m talking about Jon, my husband, who has only been able to enjoy curry outside of the house for the past year), so the first week of August I added curry powder to my grocery list and came back home with some to spice up the chicken I was planning on cooking the same night.
I settled on cooking cubed chicken breast in a creamy coconut milk sauce spiced with curry powder, which seemed the perfect way for me to slowly get me accustomed to the spice, given that coconut milk is one of my favorite ingredients. Pairing curry with coconut milk gives the chicken such a sweet exotic taste, while rendering it so tender and moist.
The curry powder gives the sauce a nice yellowish hue, partially due to the fact that curry is in fact a blend of many other spices included turmeric, renowned for its mild flavor and its golden shade. Curry also enhances the coconut milk’s flavor in this recipe all while sweetening it. You can always opt for a spicier curry powder or use curry paste instead if you’re a huge fan of this spice, but if you, like me, have always struggled with it, this might be the tastiest way to get you to love it.
For more chicken recipes, click here
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1 big onion, diced
- 2 pounds (1kg) chicken breasts, sliced into big cubes
- 2 small garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon diced fresh ginger
- 8.5oz (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir-fry for 3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the chicken, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 8 to 10 minutes on medium heat until the chicken is slightly cooked through.
- Add the coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper and mix to combine and coat all the chicken cubes. Cover the skillet, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the cashew nuts and serve warm.