Sunday tends to be our stay-at-home day, where we snuggle up together and watch TV and get lots of household chores done. As you all know how much Jon and I love freshly baked pastries for breakfast, Sunday is also my baking day, the only day in the week where I have time to research, create and test recipes for the most decadent muffins, breads and cakes. We had eight friends over for dinner on Friday night so our fridge was pretty much empty, no leftovers whatsoever from our dinner and nothing in our freezer except a bag of frozen raspberries and blackberries. I decided to turn them into a deliciously moist loaf cake to enjoy with afternoon tea — or even for breakfast with a cup of coffee the next day.
The original idea was to create a breakfast bread bursting with blackberries and raspberries, but when I stumbled upon a recipe on Taste calling for shredded coconut and coconut milk, I couldn’t resist trying it. Coconut is one of my favorite ingredients to cook with, as it is naturally sweet and brings an exotic touch to anything it is included in. Raspberries and blackberries can be a bit sour, so combining them with the sweetness of coconut seemed like the perfect way to bring out their natural sugar. Thank you Taste, because the result with unbelievably mouthwatering — so much so that I just had to film it and use this recipe to make my first YouTube video. I’m so excited to share it with you, watch it below and please subscribe to my YouTube channel for more videos to come!
Do I need to tell you how amazing the house smelled while this beauty was baking in the oven? Think banana bread, but even better, as the smell of coconut infused my entire kitchen. I could barely wait the 1 hour of baking to slice the cake and taste it, especially since I knew how good it would be given that I tasted every last drop remaining in the bowl after pouring the batter into the loaf pan. The loaf cake came out crispy and golden on top, making me wonder if the inside would be any different. I was so happy to see that the inside was just as I wanted it to be — so moist and oozing with berry juices. We had three slices of the cake and wrapped up the rest to have for breakfast during the week.
- 1 ¾ cups shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cups frozen raspberries and blackberries
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded coconut with the coconut milk. Let stand, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 340°F/170°C and grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Add granulated sugar, egg and vanilla essence to the mixing bowl. Mix to combine with a spatula. Add flour and baking powder, mix to combine with a spatula.
- Add the frozen raspberries and blackberries and delicately fold into the batter. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the sides of the pan and invert the bread onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
HOW TO STORE: Wrapped in plastic wrap and kept on the kitchen counter for up to 3 days
How did your raspberry blackberry coconut loaf cake come out? Share photos of your recipe on Instagram by tagging #savormania