Whenever I have guests over and need to prepare a dessert in no time, I think about verrines — these cute glasses bursting with deliciousness. My idea of a great dessert isn’t a fruit salad, so I always make sure to have at least something sweet to end a meal with. These verrines come in handy when I have no time or energy to bake. My favorite verrines are full of fresh fruits, cream and crushed meringue pieces for some crunch. Add some nuts to the mix and you’ll have small delectable desserts that will satisfy your guests and keep you from spending hours in the kitchen.
The best thing about these verrines is that they take 15 minutes from start to finish — yup, you’ve read me right. As long as you have store-bought meringues in your pantry, there’s no reason it should take any longer than that. My favorite fruits to use are fresh berries — blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or blackberries. You can use a mix of them or one variety only. As my sister only likes strawberries, I tend to make a special verrine just for her with only strawberries. It tastes like Starbucks’ Strawberry & Cream Frappuccino and is just heavenly!
You can play around with the fruits and try different combinations next time — I’m thinking canned peaches, apricots and mangoes — and experiment with other types of nuts. Whatever you do the verrines will be delicious, satisfying both those with a sweet tooth and those who can’t get enough of fruits!
For more dessert recipes, click here
- Mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries)
- ¾ cup sweetened cream
- Meringues, crushed
- 4 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Whip the cream in a mixing bowl. Prepare 4 glasses (whiskey glasses work well).
- Put 1 or 2 tablespoons of cream on the bottom of each glass. Top each glass with half of the mixed berries. Top with meringues and ½ teaspoon of pistachios each. Repeat the same process with one more layer -- 1 or 2 tablespoons of whipped cream, the other half of mixed berries, meringue and ½ tablespoon pistachios. End with a tablespoon of cream topped with some pistachios for decoration.
- Chill until ready to serve.