sweet potato and spinach tortilla
The best thing to cook when you come back home from a long holiday is something that (1) can be ready in no time, (2) uses ingredients that you have in your pantry or freezer and (3) will satisfy everyone, including picky eaters. This sweet potato and spinach tortilla fits the bill, and if you’re on a severe diet after too much holiday food, this recipe will make you happy too, as it is a low-cal version of my spanish favorite!
Traditional spanish potato tortillas are made with 4 ingredients: potatoes, onion, eggs and LOTS of oil. Although I love a good fatty tortilla, I ate way too much over the holidays and am now back to my healthy routine. We spent a week up in the Swiss Alps with no snow whatsoever, but it was so sunny and great to be with the family!
To make a healthier version of spanish tortilla, I decided to use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and swapped the ¾ cup of vegetable oil for 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Yep, that’s all you’ll need! Traditionally, the potatoes are sliced and then cooked until golden in oil, but I decided to skip this step and microwave my sweet potato slices instead. They might not be as golden, but they’re much healthier, and that’s all I was craving when I came back home.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking in the microwave, start cooking the onion slices in olive oil in a skillet. Add the thawed and chopped frozen spinach, mixing to combine, then add the sweet potatoes and cook for 2 minutes more. Whisk the eggs together with some mustard, a splash of apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and pour the mixture over the vegetables. Let the tortilla cook on one side before flipping it over to cook the other side. Cut the tortilla in four and enjoy with a nice green salad!
For more recipes with eggs, click here
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 350g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup thawed frozen spinach, squeezed to remove excess water and chopped
- 5 eggs
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice widthwise in half. Slice each half in half again, and thinly slice to obtain thin semi-circles. Place in a microwave-safe bowl with a bit of water, covered, for 7 minutes until soft and cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Peel the onion and cut in half. Thinly slice each half to obtain semi-circles. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sweet potato and mix to arrange all the vegetables across the skillet.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Let cook until golden on one side, about 5 to 7 minutes. Put a plate on top of the skillet to turn over the tortilla, then put the tortilla back in the skillet to cook the other side about another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve the tortilla warm or at room temperature.