quick coconut granola
Sleep deprivation is really tough. So tough, but worth every lost second of sleep when I see our beautiful Gabriel smile and grow by the minute. If you believe that a baby sleeping a long 6-hour stretch at night qualifies as “sleeping through the night”, well then Gabriel has been sleeping through the night for a couple of weeks already, waking up once at night to feed and then starting the day at 7am. Sometimes he’s ready to party at 6am, and on days like those, a quick breakfast really comes in handy. I’m thinking yoghurt topped with granola or overnight oats made with granola.
It’s so easy to make your own granola at home; I honestly don’t even see the point of buying it at the supermarket! It literally takes 30 minutes to make from start to finish, you get to control the amount of sweetness and you can make it super healthy, unlike store-bought versions. I tend to use different sweeteners, nuts, spices and seeds each time, keeping the base of the recipe the same:
- Always start with 2 cups of oats
- Always use coconut oil or regular oil instead of butter
- Always use a sweetener, either maple syrup, coconut sugar or honey
I’ve been making so many different granola recipes, but one of my favorites and one of Jon’s favorites is this coconut version. It pairs really well with any yoghurt flavor and also makes a delicious topping for a warm bowl of oatmeal. If you’re searching for a healthy quick recipe to have for breakfast, look no further. Here it is, and whether you’re sleep deprived like me or not, you’ll love it either way!
- 2 cups oats
- ¼ cup slivered almonds (or any other nut)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 320°F/160°C.
- In a large baking pan, combine the oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, coconut sugar and ground ginger.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix in the vanilla extract and maple syrup and pour everything over the oats. Combine with a spoon, making sure to coat all the oats, seeds and nuts with the wet ingredients.
- Cook for 15 minutes until fragrant. Add the shredded coconut and cook for 5 minutes more until golden.
- Let cool and store in an air-tight container.
MAKE IT VEGAN: Use maple syrup and not honey
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Use gluten-free oats