crispy spinach-carrot quinoa patties
Savormania’s monthly seasonal produce guide is due this Friday, meaning that if I want to include a new Savormania recipe for a produce that hasn’t been featured on the blog yet, it has to be done now! My monthly seasonal produce guides have pushed me to experiment with so many vegetables that I had never cooked before, like watercress (as seen in this smoked salmon and watercress quiche) or radishes (as featured in this classic israeli salad). This month I wanted to share with you a recipe highlighting spinach — a vegetable I’ve cooked numerous times in the past, but that had never made it to the blog. The day has finally come for spinach to get all its glory on Savormania, and believe me, it was well worth the wait.
This recipe was born from a simple idea: create a healthy vegetarian burger using quinoa. Although I’d qualify them more as patties rather than burgers, you can eat them as is next to a salad, or topped with your favorite salsa and vegetable slices and sandwiched in hamburger bread. They’re much healthier than your regular beef burger whatever way you decide to eat them, and given that bikini season is right around the corner, I know you’re probably looking for low-cal ways to recreate your favorite dishes. Look no further, as this recipe is not only full of greens and spring flavors, but it is also so easy to make and can be frozen and reheated whenever you’re craving some quinoa in your life.
The patties are made with quinoa, grated carrots, crunchy cashews, thawed frozen spinach, fresh coriander and chopped onion and garlic. A thick tahini sauce holds it all together and gives the patties a Mediterranean twist. Need I mention how healthy they are, given that they’re not fried in oil but baked in the oven until crisp? Yup, that’s one more reason for you to try them right now!
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 185g frozen spinach, thawed, thoroughly squeezed and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- ½ cup cashews, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons tahini
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until cooked through. Move quinoa to a large mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add spinach, carrot, cashews, onion, garlic and coriander to the mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, flour, white wine vinegar, tahini, salt and pepper. Add the mixture to the large mixing bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Wet hands and form patties. Place patties on the baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the top appears golden and flip around. Bake for another 10 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
The patties patties can be frozen and reheated for 15 minutes in the oven at 320°F/160°C before serving.
How did your crispy spinach-carrot quinoa patties come out? Share photos of your recipe on Instagram by tagging #savormania